Explore the interactive above to see what 25 years of FBI data tell us abut homicides involving children 12 and under, including which weapons are used most often, how the killers are most often related to the victims and the race, gender and age of both victim and offender.
You can also explore a related interactive map detailing incidents in which kids have been killed by gunshots since Newtown, along with brief profiles of the victims.
Or you can read about what the data show about the relative dangers of school shootings by clicking on the link below:
Related coverage from NBC News Investigations:
- Explore: The US children shot to death since Sandy Hook massacre
- NBC reporters gain access to some schools with ease, exposing security gaps
- US schools keep trying wrong fixes to deter school shootings, experts say
- Read more about prevention of school shootings
- Too young to die: an msnbc.com special report
- Complete coverage of the anniversary of the Newtown shooting